TribalPrint

Monday, January 6, 2014

Southern Collard Greens!

Jordan being from Alabama, I'm always searching for new southern recipes! Personally, I love vegetables, I can eat them any way and with anything. The first time I had ever tried collard greens was about a year ago, at a "Rum Fest" in Daytona Beach. I took a big heaping spoonful, and from the moment I tasted it  until the last bit of it- I was hooked! It's got to be one of the easiest things I've ever made! Jordan had two bowls and wanted to save the rest so he could have later. He loved it! (I did too)
Find my recipe below :)
Here's a picture of what it looked like mid-process!


Collar Greens 
  • 1 1/2 Tbs Oil
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • green onions (one bundle)
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 6-7 pieces of bacon
  • 1 bunch/bundle of collard greens
  • 3 1/2 cups of Chicken stock
  • Pepper flakes
  • Salt & pepper
1. Dice up the onions, green onions, and garlic. Small or medium sized, doesn't matter
2. Slice up your bacon according to how big you want them. I did them about 1in
3. Add your oil to a pot and add your onion, green onions, garlic and bacon. 
4. Cook for about 10 mins on medium heat, until onions look transparent 
5. Rinse off your collard greens, take 5-7 leaves at a time, and stack them up. Cut off the ends, then roll it up. It might be a difficult to roll completely, but try your best. It makes life a lot easier. 
6. Cut greens 1inch
7. Add handfuls at a time to the pot, allowing to slowly sauté them, continuing to add more. 
8. Once greens are sautéed well enough, add your chicken stalk. I added 3 1/2, but you can add more depending on how watery you want it to be! 
9. Let it boil for about 10 mins
10. Then, let it simmer on low-medium heat for about 45 mins! 
Serve as a side, or eat alone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment